Ohio journos pooh-pooh Kennedy's "Election Stolen?" piece
comments powered by Disqus
Alonzo Hamby - 6/16/2006
Conspiracy theorists for a year and a half now have attempted to construct a convincing story to the effect that the sinister Kenneth Blackwell (Ohio Secretary of State and Republican nominee for Governor in 2006) robbed Kerry.
In fact, however, Ohio elections are run by 88 separate county election boards. By law, each board must consist of equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats. No one who knows Ohio politics believes that a massive number of stupid or dishonest Democrats lent themselves to a plot to beat Kerry.
In addition to the people cited in this story, Joe Hallet, a liberal Democrat who writes on state politics for the Columbus Dispatch, made these points in a story a couple of weeks ago.
I've lived in Ohio for forty years. Its elections are as clean as any in the country.
Are they perfectly managed every year in every county? Of course not. But that's a different matter.
- World War I records reveal myths and realities of soldiers with ‘shell shock’
- Were Neanderthals a sub-species of modern humans? New research says no
- Irish archaeological sites explain huge European population fall
- Reactions to JFK Assassination Included Fear of Possible Soviet Strike against U.S.; Desire to "Bond" with LBJ
- Swiss Museum to Announce Decision on Nazi-Looted Art Next Week
- Middle East Studies Association Fights a Rising Tide of Critics
- Juan Cole says the postwar Middle East governments were modeled on the Soviet Union, though not communist (interview)
- Ted Widmer picks the 5 best presidential books worth reading
- AHA backs California's LGBT History law
- Cultural historian traces history of baby food