'Nazi' statues raise furore on eve of World Cup
Now, leading Jewish activists are calling for the bronze statues to be draped in canvas, or removed entirely, to shield fans from what they regard as Nazi propaganda.
Lea Rosh, who led the campaign to build a Holocaust memorial in the city centre, has made the "coverup" her new cause. "At the very least, the figures of Arno Breker should be hidden from view, and an explanation given on the plinth," Ms. Rosh said yesterday.
Mr. Breker, who died in 1991, was one of Europe's top sculptors even before the Nazis came to power, and his powerful figures caught the attention of Hitler. His sculptures were supposed to adorn the new Berlin that Hitler and Albert Speer, his chief architect, were planning to build after the war.
For the Olympic Stadium, constructed for the Games of 1936, Mr. Breker sculpted The Female Victor and The Decathlete.
Ms. Rosch wants both to be covered, as well as colossal statues of discus throwers and relay runners by Karl Albiker, The Resting Athlete, by Georg Kolbe, and many others scattered around the complex.
"Breker was a top Nazi," Ms. Rosch said. "It's unacceptable that the statues are still on public view."
Ralph Giordano, a leading German- Jewish novelist, is lobbying for the statues -- some bronze, some stone -- to be pulverised or melted down. "The figures are ugly and deceitful," he said.
"I demand that these statues be taken out of the stadium, quickly dismantled and scrapped."
German historians are skeptical that removing the statues would serve any political purpose, and argue that it would actually distort German history.
"Much of 20th-century art is bound up with dictatorship," Christoph Stolzl, a historian, said. "We should put up plaques explaining the statues. The connection between the celebration of the body and racism is complicated."
comments powered by Disqus
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns is in a race to slow us down
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history