British Teachers Favor Call to Boycott IsraelisBreaking News
The resolution by the National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education deepened the contest among academics in Britain, the United States and the Middle East that has evoked questions of academic freedom. The debate threatened to further divide British academics into camps — for or against the imposition of penalties on Israeli university teachers cast as complicit in Israeli government actions in the West Bank and Gaza.
At its annual conference in Blackpool, in northern England, the association voted 106 to 71 in favor of the resolution, which called for the organization's members "to consider their own responsibility for ensuring equity and nondiscrimination in contacts with Israeli educational institutions or individuals." There were 21 abstentions, said Trevor Phillips, an association spokesman.
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled