Debate on Little Human Fossil Enters Major Scientific Forum
Now the critics are getting their day in the court of scientific discourse.
In today's issue of the journal Science, researchers led by Robert D. Martin of the Field Museum in Chicago present evidence they say supports their main argument, that the skull in question is not that of a newfound extinct species, but of a modern Homo sapiens afflicted with microcephaly, a genetic disorder characterized by a smaller than normal brain and head size.
The researchers said the evidence used in previous studies to rule out microcephaly was flawed. They noted that the analysis was primarily based on comparisons with a brain cast made from a poorly preserved skull of a 10-year-old who was microcephalic, not one from an adult.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 5/20/2006
As I understand it microencephaly just affects the brain and head,not the remainder. I would suggest a combination explanation so the difficulty of the orthodoxy won't be broken. Unless they will claim that all the bodies are of children with no adults present.
It is a typical behavior to fight change,especially with reputations locked into rigid hypothoses,without flexibility to not think one has found it all. Let us let the evidence and the experts in all relevent fields conclude,if they can,where these particular people reside in the tree of life.
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed