Former PM's letter praises Hitler (UK)Breaking News
Baldwin wrote in glowing terms about the German leader to a friend in 1936, talking of his "great achievements", three years before World War II.
The letter, from the MP for Bewdley, Worcestershire, will be auctioned at Ludlow Racecourse, Shropshire.
Baldwin was prime minister three times between 1923 and 1937. He died in 1947.
comments powered by Disqus
Alonzo Hamby - 5/17/2006
The full story, such as it is, leaves a somewhat different impression.
Baldwin was writing privately to an obvious Hitler admirer in 1936. The BBC story does not appear to quote the full letter nor does it name the recepient. The quoted text reads as follows:
"Like you, I acknowledge [Hitler's] great achievements since taking over that troubled country.
"The German people obviously love him, even if that love puts a burden on them both and is not extended to the Jews who are tormented.
"Yes, Herr Hitler is a remarkable man but I feel he must use these gifts wisely or I fear greatly for the consequence."
Sentiments of this sort were common in 1936, the year of the Berlin Olympics, and hardly indicate uncritical admiration. Most of continental Europe was run by authoritarian governments, and it was still possible to believe that the Nazis were just another dictatorial regime.
Finally, it is worth noting that in the wake of Kristallnacht, some two years later, Baldwin was one of the prominent sponsors of a Jewish refugee fund that raised the then-huge sum of half a million pounds for fleeing German Jews.
It is convenient for an auction house to hype such remarks and for a BBC writer to believe that it represents pro-Nazi sentiments widely held by the British upper-crust. But in fact Baldwin was a committed democrat whose core values were much closer to those of Roosevelt than to Hitler.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges