John the Baptist Cave: New Secrets EmergeBreaking News
The cave includes a huge cistern with 28 steps that lead to an underground pool of water. Some 250,000 pottery shards were also found and are presumed to be remnants of small water jugs used in the Christian baptismal ritual performed by the fiery New Testament preacher. Wall carvings etched into the cave tell John's life story; they were likely made by monks in the fourth or fifth century. In addition, a stone was found in the cave that researchers believe was used for ceremonial foot washing.
Now new secrets and mysteries have emerged from this cave, known as the Suba Cave.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 5/16/2006
It's over 2000 years, since so-called biblical times, when otsiders, i.e., enemies and outcasts of the people, operated from caves, and here they are again, or still, nipping at our heels from caves. Will dissenting Middle Easterners ever operate in the open, in daylight, or will they always have a cave as their headquarters and stealth and death as their policy?
Are we to always dread plots being hatched in caves by shadowy individuals? Does anyone wonder if Muslims are merely angry at Israel because they operate in open forums rather than in dank and dark caves?
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 5/16/2006
Would it be too dull to end with a sentence such as "Now new artefactual evidence and explanatory hypotheses have emerged from the study of this cave, known as the Suba Cave."? Perhaps, in a news article, naming some of the new ones (in contrast to those listed, that are presumably the old ones) might also divert from the fashionable gasping approach to history.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity