Rome memorial for Pope shootingBreaking News
A statue of the Virgin of Fatima, who the Pope believed saved his life, was flown in from Portugal for a special Mass at St Peter's Basilica.
John Paul was critically wounded when he was shot three times by Turkish gunman Mehmet Ali Agca on 13 May 1981.
A simple marble slab now marks the spot of the shooting in St Peter's Square.
comments powered by Disqus
- Ken Burns argues that Vietnam is to blame for much of our current alienation and polarization
- Ilan Pappe says Israel Is Not a Democracy
- Drew Gilpin Faust discusses free speech in Harvard commencement address (video)
- Military Journalist Calls on General McMaster to Step Down—And Let Trump Be Trump
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election