Hallowed Ground Parkway ... Endangered?Breaking News
On the way, travelers may investigate other historic battlefields, such as Monocacy, Md.; Antietam, Md.; Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; Boonsboro, Md.; Bull Run at Manassas; Cedar Mountain; Chancellorsville; Brandy Station; and Bristoe Station; other presidential domiciles at Gettysburg, Pa. (Dwight Eisenhower); and those in Virginia; the current presidential retreat at Camp David; and residences of Zachary Taylor at Montebello, James Monroe at Oak Hill, James Madison at Montpelier and Herbert Hoover at Graves Mill.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation has declared this 175-mile corridor to be an endangered historic site and has set about establishing a tristate conservation program to protect and enhance access to the historic battlegrounds and presidential residences in the corridor. It has named the project the Hallowed Ground Parkway. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) and U.S. Rep. Frank Wolf (R-10th) are seeking legislation that would designate the parkway a "National Heritage Area."
comments powered by Disqus
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit