Hallowed Ground Parkway ... Endangered?Breaking News
On the way, travelers may investigate other historic battlefields, such as Monocacy, Md.; Antietam, Md.; Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; Boonsboro, Md.; Bull Run at Manassas; Cedar Mountain; Chancellorsville; Brandy Station; and Bristoe Station; other presidential domiciles at Gettysburg, Pa. (Dwight Eisenhower); and those in Virginia; the current presidential retreat at Camp David; and residences of Zachary Taylor at Montebello, James Monroe at Oak Hill, James Madison at Montpelier and Herbert Hoover at Graves Mill.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation has declared this 175-mile corridor to be an endangered historic site and has set about establishing a tristate conservation program to protect and enhance access to the historic battlegrounds and presidential residences in the corridor. It has named the project the Hallowed Ground Parkway. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) and U.S. Rep. Frank Wolf (R-10th) are seeking legislation that would designate the parkway a "National Heritage Area."
comments powered by Disqus
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian