Hallowed Ground Parkway ... Endangered?Breaking News
On the way, travelers may investigate other historic battlefields, such as Monocacy, Md.; Antietam, Md.; Harpers Ferry, W.Va.; Boonsboro, Md.; Bull Run at Manassas; Cedar Mountain; Chancellorsville; Brandy Station; and Bristoe Station; other presidential domiciles at Gettysburg, Pa. (Dwight Eisenhower); and those in Virginia; the current presidential retreat at Camp David; and residences of Zachary Taylor at Montebello, James Monroe at Oak Hill, James Madison at Montpelier and Herbert Hoover at Graves Mill.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation has declared this 175-mile corridor to be an endangered historic site and has set about establishing a tristate conservation program to protect and enhance access to the historic battlegrounds and presidential residences in the corridor. It has named the project the Hallowed Ground Parkway. Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) and U.S. Rep. Frank Wolf (R-10th) are seeking legislation that would designate the parkway a "National Heritage Area."
comments powered by Disqus
- Vice President Pence Cited a Fake Thomas Jefferson Quote
- Holocaust Denier’s Sentence: Visit 5 Ex-Nazi Camps, and Write About It
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond