Neolithic man 'had violent history'Breaking News
A study of remains kept in UK museums found neolithic man ran a one-in-14 chance of getting a cracked skull.
Archaeologist Dr Rick Schulting from Queen's University, Belfast said 350 skulls dated between 4000 and 3200 BC from southern England were examined.
He said the study "challenged" the myth of neolithic man being peaceful.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 5/13/2006
Perhaps 12000 years hence, archaeologists will dig up the bones of our Civil War dead, where one in eight participants lost a limb, and wonder if all the skeletons missing a leg or an arm was from violence or perhaps a ritual practice required by our gods. Really, records could be lost.
Randll Reese Besch - 5/13/2006
If neolithic Man has the same brain morphology as ourselves, why would they consider different behavior?
Our violent tendencies are rooted in the R-complex and Limbic system for agression [testosterone] and territoriality [war].
Truely the only way to fully purge the urge to exterminate oneselves is to have a different kind of brain.
Perhaps the paleontologists should consult with behaviorists and neurologists in relation to their work?
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges