France remembers slavery victimsBreaking News
"It profited from the commerce in human beings... ripped from the African homeland," Junior Co-operation Minister Brigitte Girardin said in Senegal.
She was visiting a notorious slave island off the coast of Senegal.
In Paris, President Jacques Chirac said facing up to the colonial past was a "key to national cohesion".
He opened an art exhibition in Paris's Luxembourg Gardens while other cities and venues around France held their own ceremonies for Slavery Remembrance Day - the first such event in an EU state.
Wednesday's day of commemoration was ordered by Mr Chirac, on the fifth anniversary of the passing of a law by the French Senate recognising slavery as a crime against humanity.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 5/13/2006
It's 2006 and France has recognized that slavery is a crime against humanity. France is the world's California, always starting new fads, soon they will recognize the world is round, pass a law and celebrate it annualy. In their defense, they take the blame, saying nothing about those who sold slaves to them. One could only hope that it isn't fear that holds them back from mentioning that it was a trade arrangement, surrendering to fear would spoil their image.
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport