KKK plans rally at Antietam Civil War siteBreaking News
The National Park Service has issued a permit for a Klan demonstration June 10 on a farmstead at Anti-etam National Battlefield in western Maryland. The battle in 1862 remains the bloodiest day in U.S. history.
The National Socialist Movement, a neo-Nazi organization, demonstrated last year at Yorktown Battlefield in Virginia and in 2004 at Valley Forge National Historical Monument in Pennsylvania, both Revolutionary War sites.
Anti-etam Battlefield superintendent John Howard says the right to free speech meant he was obligated to issue the permit. "The First Amendment is very clear on that," he said. "The framers of the Constitution decided this for me in 1791. It applies to all, not just people we like."
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity