KKK plans rally at Antietam Civil War siteBreaking News
The National Park Service has issued a permit for a Klan demonstration June 10 on a farmstead at Anti-etam National Battlefield in western Maryland. The battle in 1862 remains the bloodiest day in U.S. history.
The National Socialist Movement, a neo-Nazi organization, demonstrated last year at Yorktown Battlefield in Virginia and in 2004 at Valley Forge National Historical Monument in Pennsylvania, both Revolutionary War sites.
Anti-etam Battlefield superintendent John Howard says the right to free speech meant he was obligated to issue the permit. "The First Amendment is very clear on that," he said. "The framers of the Constitution decided this for me in 1791. It applies to all, not just people we like."
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled