Iraq Tourism Ministry: U.S. Damaged Ancient CityBreaking News
The Ministry of State for Tourism and Antiquities Affairs said in a statement that U.S. forces had set up a camp in Kish, near Hillah, about 60 miles south of Baghdad.
The U.S. military was preventing anyone from entering the important archaeological site to assess the damage, which was not specified, the statement said.
Last year, the British Museum said that U.S.-led troops using the ancient city of Babylon as a base damaged and contaminated artifacts dating back thousands of years in one of the world's most important ancient sites.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why You Should Feel Free to Ignore Polls for a Few Weeks
- Neanderthals in Germany Went Extinct Right After Population Peak
- A Worker Broke a Window at Yale and Shed Light on History
- Which Barack Obama speech is the one for the history books?
- A Brief History Of Spousal Speeches At Political Conventions