Iraq Tourism Ministry: U.S. Damaged Ancient City
The Ministry of State for Tourism and Antiquities Affairs said in a statement that U.S. forces had set up a camp in Kish, near Hillah, about 60 miles south of Baghdad.
The U.S. military was preventing anyone from entering the important archaeological site to assess the damage, which was not specified, the statement said.
Last year, the British Museum said that U.S.-led troops using the ancient city of Babylon as a base damaged and contaminated artifacts dating back thousands of years in one of the world's most important ancient sites.
comments powered by Disqus
- Israel Museum turns a 'brief history of humankind' into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest
- Historian says Indian mascots remain popular even at schools that dropped them
- A column by Johns Hopkins historian N. D. B. Connolly causes a firestorm on the website of New York Times