Iraq Tourism Ministry: U.S. Damaged Ancient CityBreaking News
The Ministry of State for Tourism and Antiquities Affairs said in a statement that U.S. forces had set up a camp in Kish, near Hillah, about 60 miles south of Baghdad.
The U.S. military was preventing anyone from entering the important archaeological site to assess the damage, which was not specified, the statement said.
Last year, the British Museum said that U.S.-led troops using the ancient city of Babylon as a base damaged and contaminated artifacts dating back thousands of years in one of the world's most important ancient sites.
comments powered by Disqus
- At Brandis the Afro-American studies faculty is siding with student protesters
- NYT's Notable Books of 2015: These are the history books that made the cut
- Petition signed by 44,000 to add more female thinkers to the Politics A Level syllabus in the UK
- Most Students Have No Clue What Accurate Native American History Looks Like
- Historians Re-Enter Presidential Studies