Hever Castle in Kent unveils rare Tudor picturesBreaking News
The most rare is a portrait of Henry's older brother Arthur, Prince of Wales, painted in 1500, the year before his marriage to Catherine of Aragon.
The other is of the brothers' father, King Henry VII, painted in about 1506, towards the end of his life.
The portraits were unveiled on Monday by writer and historian David Starkey.
Dr Starkey said the pictures filled one of the biggest gaps in the collection at Hever, near Edenbridge.
They dated from a pivotal time in English history.
If Prince Arthur had not died and had become king, his brother would not have married Catherine, there would have been no love affair between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn and no Reformation.
The picture of Prince Arthur, which hung for many years in the National Portrait Gallery, is the only surviving portrait which could have been painted in his lifetime.
Dr Starkey said it was "exquisite - very finely painted" and of international significance.
The portrait of Henry VII was a "fairly standard" likeness of the king and not of the same quality.
Both were painted by Flemish craftsmen who were attracted to the powerful and wealthy new English court.
They were bought for the Hever collection and were "very valuable", said Dr Starkey.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity