Bushes' Home Turf Loses Out in Bid to Host Presidential LibraryBreaking News
Former commerce secretary Donald L. Evans, a West Texan himself and chairman of the presidential site-selection committee, delivered the bad news in a letter late last week.
"This was a difficult decision for the committee," Evans wrote to David A. Miller, chairman of the West Texas Coalition, which represented Texas Tech University in Lubbock and Midland College in Midland. "Your team has brought to light many important ideas, and it is our hope that the final selection and site will make you and the institutions you represent proud."
The West Texas Coalition had proposed a contemporary-style or Spanish Renaissance library on 100 acres west of Texas Tech's Health Science Center and, at Midland College, a Laura Welch Bush Center for Early Literacy.
Still in the running as library sites are Southern Methodist University in Dallas (Laura Bush's alma mater), the University of Dallas and Baylor University in Waco. Although SMU has little land available for new building, it is perceived to be the favorite because Laura Bush is a member of the board of trustees.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity