Angry Apaches sue SpielbergBreaking News
A lawsuit filed by the girl's father, Danny Ponce, of the Mescalero Apache tribe, seeks $250,000 (£142,000) for emotional distress and $75,000 (£42,000) in damages from an unnamed stylist and Turner Films, the makers of Into the West.
"It's part of our culture not to cut a girl's hair until her coming of age ceremony," said Mr Ponce. "The only ones allowed to do that are the parents. Nobody asked for permission."
According to the lawsuit, Christina, Mr Ponce's daughter, responded last March through her parents to a casting call for the six-episode mini-series, produced by Spielberg. During the three-day shoot the stylist cut the girl's hair, the suit claims, "to make her look more 'Indian' and like a male Indian child because the casting call failed to produce sufficient young males of Indian heritage".
The Mescalero tradition forbids cutting a girl's hair as she approaches puberty.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 3/26/2006
This was an American Indian girl, therefore no one will care enough to write an opinion, but imagine the outcry if she were a black child and someone combed out her corn rows without her mother's approval, or someone unveiled a Muslim child without a cleric's approval.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity