Angry Apaches sue SpielbergBreaking News
A lawsuit filed by the girl's father, Danny Ponce, of the Mescalero Apache tribe, seeks $250,000 (£142,000) for emotional distress and $75,000 (£42,000) in damages from an unnamed stylist and Turner Films, the makers of Into the West.
"It's part of our culture not to cut a girl's hair until her coming of age ceremony," said Mr Ponce. "The only ones allowed to do that are the parents. Nobody asked for permission."
According to the lawsuit, Christina, Mr Ponce's daughter, responded last March through her parents to a casting call for the six-episode mini-series, produced by Spielberg. During the three-day shoot the stylist cut the girl's hair, the suit claims, "to make her look more 'Indian' and like a male Indian child because the casting call failed to produce sufficient young males of Indian heritage".
The Mescalero tradition forbids cutting a girl's hair as she approaches puberty.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 3/26/2006
This was an American Indian girl, therefore no one will care enough to write an opinion, but imagine the outcry if she were a black child and someone combed out her corn rows without her mother's approval, or someone unveiled a Muslim child without a cleric's approval.
- Smithsonian launches campaign to raise $10 million for women’s history initiative
- Trump Was Not Always So Linguistically Challenged
- 75th anniversary of the World War 2 black uprising that the American public never heard about
- Longest serving governor in U.S. history to resign after confirmation as Trump's ambassador to China
- Did the First Human Ancestor Emerge in Europe, Not Africa?
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?