Book Recounts John Paul II's Final DaysBreaking News
John Paul died April 2 at 9:37 p.m. after slipping into a coma two hours earlier, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti writes in his book ''Let me go.'' The title refers to the pope's final words ''Let me go to the house of the Father,'' which he uttered in Polish at about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.
The Vatican has released a detailed, official report on the pontiff's final weeks and minutes, and Buzzonetti's report on the final hours dovetails with that report. Excerpts of the book were being published in Thursday editions of the Catholic news magazine Famiglia Cristiania.
Buzzonetti details a time of intense prayer in the pontiff's private apartment, with John Paul surrounded by Polish prelates and nuns and his medical team as his health deteriorated precipitously starting on April 1.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history