Book Recounts John Paul II's Final DaysBreaking News
John Paul died April 2 at 9:37 p.m. after slipping into a coma two hours earlier, Dr. Renato Buzzonetti writes in his book ''Let me go.'' The title refers to the pope's final words ''Let me go to the house of the Father,'' which he uttered in Polish at about 3:30 p.m. that afternoon.
The Vatican has released a detailed, official report on the pontiff's final weeks and minutes, and Buzzonetti's report on the final hours dovetails with that report. Excerpts of the book were being published in Thursday editions of the Catholic news magazine Famiglia Cristiania.
Buzzonetti details a time of intense prayer in the pontiff's private apartment, with John Paul surrounded by Polish prelates and nuns and his medical team as his health deteriorated precipitously starting on April 1.
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments