British Tycoon Who Drowned Was Investigated for War Crime
But business was not the only thing potentially troubling Mr. Maxwell in the last days of his life, according to an account in the newspaper The Independent on Friday. The paper said that Mr. Maxwell, who owned the Mirror Group of newspapers, was also being investigated as a possible war criminal in connection with an episode in which, as a captain in the British Army during World War II, he shot and killed an unarmed German civilian.
comments powered by Disqus
- 1,000 + have signed a petition protesting US government plan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland