Japan needs to reflect on colonial history - Seoul
Japan ruled Korea as a colony from 1910-1945 and despite generally improved ties, a simmering feud persists over what Seoul sees as Tokyo's lack of proper contrition for its wartime aggression.
"The leaders of Japan should seriously take to their hearts the view of our people (and president) on Japan's history issue," Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon told reporters.
South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun urged Japan on Wednesday to stop all actions that diluted its apology for its colonial rule.
"Japan has already apologised," Roh said in a speech marking a 1919 uprising in Korea against Japanese colonial rule. "We are objecting to actions that negate that apology," he said.
Tokyo responded by saying Japan has worked for peace and international stability since it was defeated in 1945.
"I want him (Roh) to closely look at the course Japan has taken in the 60 years since the end of the war," Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi told reporters on Wednesday.
Seoul has said actions such as Koizumi's visits to a Tokyo war shrine, which critics say glorifies Japan's past militarism, have undermined apologies Japan's leaders have made about its colonial rule.
South Korea has also protested against Tokyo's approval of history textbooks that Seoul and Beijing say whitewash atrocities committed in Korea, China and other parts of Asia.
comments powered by Disqus
- Holocaust Victims Mocked in Ohio State Band Parody Songbook
- Memphis attempt to drop name of Nathan Bedford Forrest runs into state law
- Overlooked: The 25th anniversary of Captive Nations Week
- In confession to historian, George McGovern revealed he had a secret child
- Revised AP U.S. History Standards Will Emphasize American Exceptionalism
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial