Neglected African-American cemetery for veterans may be restoredBreaking News
Two posts with a fallen chain between them are all that mark the rutted road that leads to the cemetery. Woods crowd the hillside graveyard which, on a recent afternoon, was bone quiet except for a distant train whistle.
"When I first saw it, I thought it was just the most pathetic cemetery I've ever seen," said Sandy Brown, a local historian who lives in Ross. She heard about the cemetery a couple of years ago at a West View Historical Society event, and she searched for the burial ground until she found it -- unkempt and seemingly forgotten.
When she checked on it again a year or so later, it still appeared to be abandoned.
But that could change soon.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why You Should Feel Free to Ignore Polls for a Few Weeks
- Neanderthals in Germany Went Extinct Right After Population Peak
- A Worker Broke a Window at Yale and Shed Light on History
- Which Barack Obama speech is the one for the history books?
- A Brief History Of Spousal Speeches At Political Conventions