Damaged war memorials get £100k
Forty memorials will receive handouts for work including stonework repair, cleaning and metal conservation.
Among the memorials which benefited this year are one outside Sheffield City Hall, a village cross in Devon and one destroyed by vandals in Merseyside.
The award is the largest in the history of the six-year-old scheme run by the War Memorials Trust.
Memorials offered grants this year have ranged from major city centre monuments to small village crosses.
comments powered by Disqus
- Field Report: What I learned by attending a workshop on Korean history
- Historians suggest ways California can integrate gay history into the school curriculum
- Now it’s Andrew Bacevich’s turn to do a MOOC
- Historian enlists Plato in campaign to win converts to an exciting way to teach history
- Teachers walkout in Colorado over AP history controversy and pay