Damaged war memorials get £100k
Forty memorials will receive handouts for work including stonework repair, cleaning and metal conservation.
Among the memorials which benefited this year are one outside Sheffield City Hall, a village cross in Devon and one destroyed by vandals in Merseyside.
The award is the largest in the history of the six-year-old scheme run by the War Memorials Trust.
Memorials offered grants this year have ranged from major city centre monuments to small village crosses.
comments powered by Disqus
- Israel Museum turns a 'brief history of humankind' into exhibit
- What Niall Ferguson's been tweeting lately
- Scholar of Urban Riots: Expect More Unrest
- Historian says Indian mascots remain popular even at schools that dropped them
- A column by Johns Hopkins historian N. D. B. Connolly causes a firestorm on the website of New York Times