Avoid Whatever Offends YouBreaking News
When faculty leaders talk about the various versions of the Academic Bill of Rights circulating among state legislators, many single out a bill in Arizona as the worst of all.
The legislation there would require public colleges to provide students with “alternative coursework” if a student finds the assigned material “personally offensive,” which is defined as something that “conflicts with the student’s beliefs or practices in sex, morality or religion.” On Wednesday, the bill starting moving, with the Senate Committee on Higher Education approving the measure — much to the dismay of professors in the state.
comments powered by Disqus
Joan E Crow-Epps - 2/18/2006
It sounds like the aim of this is to ensure that students who come to college with preconceived ideas about the truth are never exposed to any facts that might upset their world view. Why go to college at all if your mind is already closed?
The diploma is a credential that should show that you've studied a wide range of ideas and know the commonly agreed upon facts, but this plan certainly forecloses that. Alternate courses will make it possible to exit college without having learned anything new at all.
I wouldn't think an employer would be too thrilled having hired someone with a Bachelor's in Biology if they discover the new hire studied 'alternate' biology.
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- Carla Hayden says Frederick Douglass "might have a lot to do with the fact that I am a librarian”
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit