Study looks at suicide attitudes in Scotland
Professor Rab Houston, a historian at the University of St Andrews, is sifting through asylum, medical and legal records as part of his study.
Previous definitions of suicide range from "at the instigation of the devil" to findings of mentally instability.
Some people who committed suicide had their goods forfeited to the Crown.
Prof Houston's project - Suicide and society in northern England and Scotland - aims to ask new questions on the subject and revise existing interpretations.
comments powered by Disqus
- National Security Archive Sues State Department Over Kissinger Telephone Messages
- White House March to stop ISIS from destroying what remains of Mesopotamian Civilization
- Scholars, Writers and Thinkers Call for Academic Freedom in Thailand
- Stanford’s Ian Morris says technology is changing the human animal
- Yale historian traces the establishment of slavery plantations to a taste for sugar