Study looks at suicide attitudes in Scotland
Professor Rab Houston, a historian at the University of St Andrews, is sifting through asylum, medical and legal records as part of his study.
Previous definitions of suicide range from "at the instigation of the devil" to findings of mentally instability.
Some people who committed suicide had their goods forfeited to the Crown.
Prof Houston's project - Suicide and society in northern England and Scotland - aims to ask new questions on the subject and revise existing interpretations.
comments powered by Disqus
- Stanford historian uncovers the dark roots of humanitarianism
- Historian hailed for offering a history of the culture wars
- Scholars to set the West straight about "Apocalyptic Hopes, Millennial Dreams and Global Jihad"
- Why Eugene Genovese’s 2 sentences about Vietnam went viral in 1965
- Historians named to the 2015 class of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences