Study looks at suicide attitudes in ScotlandBreaking News
Professor Rab Houston, a historian at the University of St Andrews, is sifting through asylum, medical and legal records as part of his study.
Previous definitions of suicide range from "at the instigation of the devil" to findings of mentally instability.
Some people who committed suicide had their goods forfeited to the Crown.
Prof Houston's project - Suicide and society in northern England and Scotland - aims to ask new questions on the subject and revise existing interpretations.
comments powered by Disqus
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award