Japan demands islands from RussiaBreaking News
"The government has the consistent opinion to try to sign a peace treaty as soon as possible after solving the territorial dispute," Foreign Minister Taro Aso told a rally of 1600 people in the Japanese capital.
"The dispute over the Northern Territories is the largest issue that gets in the way between Japan and Russia," Aso said.
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi skipped the meeting, with his office saying he was busy with sessions of a parliamentary budget panel. Last year he did not turn up citing illness.
Yoshiko Sakurai, a journalist known for her nationalist views, criticized Koizumi's absence.
"That fact Koizumi isn't here today would send a wrong message to Russia," she told the rally. "Russia is carefully watching our actions. They may assume Japanese leaders don't care much about this issue."
In November, Russian President Vladimir Putin paid his first visit to Tokyo in five years and met Koizumi, stirring speculation that the two leaders would move to solve the long sticking territorial issue.
But the summit made no progress, with Putin renewing a proposal rejected by Japan to hand over two of the four disputed islands.
"It's essential to have all the four islands returned to Japan," Tsutomu Takebe, secretary general of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, told the rally.
"Here I pledge that the LDP will take the initiative to show its protest to Russia," he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity