Infertility link in iceman's DNABreaking News
Genetic research, published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, also confirms that his roots probably lie in Central Europe.
Oetzi's body was found in the melting ice of the Schnalstal glacier in the Italian Alps in 1991.
Examination of his remains has already revealed the Copper Age man almost certainly died as a result of a fight.
The assessment is based on the presence of an arrowhead that is lodged in his back and extensive cuts to his hands.
The scientists behind the latest genetic research now speculate that Oetzi's possible sterility could have been a factor that led to this violent end.
comments powered by Disqus
Vernon Clayson - 2/8/2006
So, a corpse frozen for over 5,300 years is thought to have been possibly infertile. Poor devil, cold, hungry, likely murdered, and unable to procreate, bummer. Are the scientists involved with this silliness going to check King Tut and some of those other relics to ascertain if they were capable of procreating? If this is science on a People magazine level, make a note that Brad Pitt is fertile, some may wonder about that in 53 centuries.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity