Japan FM backs down over shrine
Mr Aso said the visit was impossible "under the current situation", but he hoped it would happen in the future.
The Yasukuni shrine, which honours 2.5m war dead, has been avoided by Japanese emperors ever since 14 top World War II criminals were enshrined there in 1978.
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi's visits have strained ties with China.
China cancelled a bilateral summit last month over the issue.
comments powered by Disqus
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830
- UK teaching "invented" history as EU propaganda, says Cambridge professor
- The move accelerates to show that black people have a history
- Eric Foner says he insisted on his MOOC on the Civil War being free
- Ellen Schrecker backs “National Adjunct Walkout Day” as a brilliant tactic