Pennsylvania Fights U.S. on Building Revolutionary War MuseumBreaking News
Plans to build a $100 million American Revolution museum at Valley Forge, 20 miles northwest of Philadelphia, are ``in crisis,'' Rendell said in a letter last month to Interior Department Secretary Gale Norton. The U.S. government should consider returning the park or give the state 100 acres to complete the project itself, Rendell wrote.
``The museum makes sense,'' said Gordon Wood, a history professor at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and author of ``The Radicalism of the American Revolution.'' ``We don't have one, and the American Revolution is the most important event in our history. We don't really celebrate it properly.''
The American Revolution Center would house about 300,000 documents and artifacts that are scattered around the Philadelphia area, including Washington's tent. Both private donations and government money would finance the project.
The park service said it would cost $9 million a year to run the center at the proposed size of 90,000 square feet, exceeding Valley Forge's annual budget and leaving taxpayers on the hook.
``What they were proposing was something huge,'' said John Wright, a spokesman for the Interior Department, which oversees the park service. ``We need to be in tune with and sensitive to a lot of things in managing these parks efficiently and effectively -- and we answer to the taxpayers.''
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"