Has Lady Jane been hiding in Streatham?Breaking News
A likeness of Lady Jane has proved as elusive as a likeness of Shakespeare but Christopher Foley, a prominent London art dealer who has spent months researching the Streatham portrait, said yesterday that he was "very certain" that it was a contemporary image of the queen.
Lady Jane, who ruled for nine days in 1553 aged just 16, is the only English monarch since 1500 of whom no known portrait exists.
Experts at the National Portrait Gallery have agreed to study the picture and Mr Foley's evidence and if they confirm his attribution it is likely to be hailed as one of the most exciting English art discoveries for many years, even though it is by an unknown hand.
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide