Macedonian and Albanian teachers prepare joint history of 2001 conflictBreaking News
The project included 25 history teachers from 14 high schools with Macedonian and Albanian instruction, who have prepared a joint version on the 2001 conflict following a one-year period of seminars and training. The publication, which is issued in Macedonian and Albanian languages also includes the two radical versions on events.
The project authors expect that such presentation of the armed conflict, which is widely experienced as a conflict between Macedonians and Albanians, would contribute to the transformation of the role of history from a factor that deepens the gap into a bridge between the Macedonian and Albanian communities.
EU Ambassador, Erwan Fouere emphasized Thursday that the history is very important for the Balkans, which had suffered much in the past. According to him, Macedonia went through crisis in 2001, but due to the political courage and vision of the leadership, it managed to overcome ethnic divisions.
"December 16 decision of the EU to grant Macedonia candidate status is a formal recognition of that political vision and commitment", Fouere stressed.
Both Mirjana Najcevska from the Helsinki Committee and Violeta Petrova-Beska from the Center for Human Rights and Conflict Resolution emphasized that the project's objective was double. The project should help in the creation of model of communication among professors in the preparation of materials for history instruction books at all education levels; secondly, it should present the process of preparing a joint lesson treating problematic events with argumentative presentation of positions, leaving space for critical acceptance and contemplation of things, especially among young generations.
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport