Blaze Ruins Frank Lloyd Wright Home In Gary, INBreaking News
A blaze that started at the rear of the vacant house late Monday all but destroyed the building at 600 Fillmore in Gary, known to local historians as the Wynant House.
Investigators late Tuesday still had not determined what caused the fire but said the blaze is suspicious because the house was unoccupied and had no working utilities.
Gary Police arson Detective Cpl. Mark Salazar visited the site, where he met with City Planning Director Chris Meyers and Erica Taylor, a preservationist with the Indiana Historic Landmarks Calumet Region.
"It's beyond salvaging, and I can't believe I'm saying that," said Meyers, who spotted Wright's signature linear design style in the sagging, abandoned house in 1992.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948