16th-Century Synagogue Found Behind False Wall In Porto, PortugalBreaking News
The synagogue, built when Jews could be burned at the stake for worshipping, was hidden behind a false wall in a four-storey building on a side street in what was once Porto's Jewish quarter.
The synagogue was discovered by a Catholic priest, Father Jardim Moreira, who was in charge of turning the building into an old people's home. Fr Moreira, a keen local historian who knew the neighbourhood had been the city's Jewish quarter in the 15th century, was told by builders about the false wall. "I knew there had to be some kind of Jewish symbol behind it," he told Associated Press.
comments powered by Disqus
- Thomas Jefferson Wrote What? Carson’s Constitutional Misstep
- Agriculture Linked to DNA Changes in Ancient Europe
- A Century Ago, Einstein’s Theory of Relativity Changed Everything
- At Princeton, Woodrow Wilson, a Heralded Alum, Is Recast as an Intolerant One
- Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled