16th-Century Synagogue Found Behind False Wall In Porto, PortugalBreaking News
The synagogue, built when Jews could be burned at the stake for worshipping, was hidden behind a false wall in a four-storey building on a side street in what was once Porto's Jewish quarter.
The synagogue was discovered by a Catholic priest, Father Jardim Moreira, who was in charge of turning the building into an old people's home. Fr Moreira, a keen local historian who knew the neighbourhood had been the city's Jewish quarter in the 15th century, was told by builders about the false wall. "I knew there had to be some kind of Jewish symbol behind it," he told Associated Press.
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea