Ponga Huts Unearthed In Wellington, N.Z.Breaking News
The discovery of three ponga huts, or whare, and an apparent cannonball on one of Wellington's busiest streets has stunned local Maori -- and the developers.
Since last month's find, an archaeological team has pored over the site and people from all over Wellington have taken interest. There have also been intense discussions between the Wellington Tenths Trust, the Historic Places Trust, the developers of the site and Wellington City Council about what to do with the huts.
The options included encasing them in glass for people to view, moving them to a new home and covering them over beneath apartments planned for the site.
Tenths Trust acting executive officer Liz Mellish says the parties have so far agreed to preserve the huts using a resin, but it is still possible they will have to be moved.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity