Ponga Huts Unearthed In Wellington, N.Z.Breaking News
The discovery of three ponga huts, or whare, and an apparent cannonball on one of Wellington's busiest streets has stunned local Maori -- and the developers.
Since last month's find, an archaeological team has pored over the site and people from all over Wellington have taken interest. There have also been intense discussions between the Wellington Tenths Trust, the Historic Places Trust, the developers of the site and Wellington City Council about what to do with the huts.
The options included encasing them in glass for people to view, moving them to a new home and covering them over beneath apartments planned for the site.
Tenths Trust acting executive officer Liz Mellish says the parties have so far agreed to preserve the huts using a resin, but it is still possible they will have to be moved.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges