Improving Job Market in HistoryBreaking News
Data that will be published this month in Perspectives, the magazine of the American Historical Association, show that 966 history positions were advertised there in the 2004-5 academic year, a 13 percent increase in one year. During the same year, the number of new Ph.D.’s reported by departments fell by 14 percent, to 840.
As a result, the number of positions in Perspectives exceeded the number of new Ph.D.’s awarded for the first time in 15 years. Not all positions are advertised in Perspectives, and available jobs for junior faculty members are also being sought by unemployed or underemployed Ph.D.’s from the past few years, so the AHA report on the data cautions against assuming that finding a good faculty job in the field will be easy. But it is clearly a much better market than historians have seen in the recent past.
The history job market appears to be better across the board, in terms of geographic specialties sought for junior professor positions. There are still more jobs being listed in the history of North America and Europe than in other areas. But the percentage increases in position listings are much higher for Africa and the Middle East.
Editor: This news story was based on the report noted here: Robert Townsend: Job Market Report 2005: Signs of Improvement?
comments powered by Disqus
Lisa Kazmier - 1/12/2006
I've gotten correspondence regarding a lot of jobs where I didn't get an interview and the applications were in the triple digits. Is this a relative term or what?
I'm not seeing "healthy" and my reduction in interviews vs. the last two years doesn't bear out this view at all.
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- How the Primaries are Rigged Against Sanders
- Carson Sees Fundraising Resurgence
- Trump Has GOP Mega Donors Frozen
- Quote of the Day
- Top GOP Candidates Haven’t Released Tax Returns
- Trump Attack Ads Finally Begin
- Super PACs Gear Up for Clinton
- Cruz App Mines Data from Your Phone
- Trump Way Ahead in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges