Partisan who caught Mussolini dies
Urbano Lazzaro, whose 'nom de guerre' was Bill, died Tuesday night in a Vercelli hospital aged 81 .
Lazzaro, a member of the partisans' Garibaldi Brigade, took Mussolini off a truck at Dongo near the Swiss border on April 27, 1945 .
The dictator, who ruled Italy for over 20 years from 1922, was disguised as a German soldier .
Mussolini was trying to flee to safety after Italy's defeat in the war and the collapse of his puppet regime in northern Italy .
The partisans shot the dictator the day after they caught him .
comments powered by Disqus
- Moving Photographs of Japanese American Internees, Then and Now
- A One-of-a-Kind Trove Reveals What 19th-Century American Boyhood Was Really Like
- St. Louis University moves controversial statue after protests
- UNC Renames Building That Honored Ku Klux Klan Leader
- A Wartime Bomb, Unearthed in Germany, Recalls Darker Days
- NYT hosts debate including Eric Foner: How Americans should remember Reconstruction
- William Leuchtenburg says historians and the media have been too hard on Obama
- Hugh Ambrose, historian who helped develop WWII Museum, dead at 48
- Historian discounts claim that Churchill and other British PM's were gay
- Nick Bunker Wins $50,000 2015 George Washington Book Prize