Partisan who caught Mussolini diesBreaking News
Urbano Lazzaro, whose 'nom de guerre' was Bill, died Tuesday night in a Vercelli hospital aged 81 .
Lazzaro, a member of the partisans' Garibaldi Brigade, took Mussolini off a truck at Dongo near the Swiss border on April 27, 1945 .
The dictator, who ruled Italy for over 20 years from 1922, was disguised as a German soldier .
Mussolini was trying to flee to safety after Italy's defeat in the war and the collapse of his puppet regime in northern Italy .
The partisans shot the dictator the day after they caught him .
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich