Embroiderers fight rerun of 1066's 'other' battleBreaking News
The battle is considerably less well known than the clash between King Harold and William the Conqueror, and it even lags behind the Saxon encounter with Harald Hardrada at Stamford Bridge just before Hastings.
However, historians believe that Fulford played a key role in the struggle for the English throne, since Saxon forces were tired and depleted at a time when they needed to be at their strongest to deal with William.
The precise location of the field of battle is in some doubt, but members of the Fulford Battlefield Society believe it must lie beside the Ouse to the south of York.
Nearly 1,000 years after the Saxons were routed, the enthusiasts find themselves ranged against developers wanting to build an estate of 700 houses.
Chas Jones, the society's chairman, describes the development as "cultural vandalism''. He is demanding that the site be preserved as an educational and tourist attraction.
The developer, Persimmon, insist that despite spending £350,000 on independent surveys it has not found a shred of evidence of a battle in the 11th century.
Objectors have until Friday to make submissions to the inquiry that will decide the issue. In their very modern battle, the society's campaigners have commissioned a preface to tell the story of Fulford in the same style as the Bayeux Tapestry.
It is hoped the embroidery will be completed in time for the 940th anniversary of the battle in September.
"We hope it will help raise awareness," said Mr Jones. "As in William's time, we are using local women who have skills in sewing and embroidery.
"They are all volunteers and we have given them training in the same techniques used in the original."
The Battle of Fulford is known to have taken place on Sept 20, 1066 - less than a month before Hastings.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity