Questions raised about $1 million spent by U.S. National Slavery MuseumBreaking News
Vonita W. Foster, the museum's executive director, also indicated some documentation already has been filed with the city.
Meanwhile, a Fredericksburg City Council member seeking more details about how the museum spent the $1 million signaled yesterday that the council might hold a closed-door discussion of matters by citing a provision that allows private discussion of litigation.
"I would assume we would look at any and all options," said City Councilman Matthew J. Kelly.
The council's next regularly scheduled meeting is Jan. 10.
Kelly and some other council members have said a final report from the museum last month on how the $1 million was spent lacked sufficient detail.
He said some of the work Foster referred to in a Dec. 20 letter to the city seems to be solely for the museum site and only for that project's benefit.
He said a 2002 contract between the city and the museum requires that work performed with the city's money should benefit the entire special tax district, which was set up to reimburse the city for the $1 million payment.
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”