Emperor asks Japan to 'accurately understand' historyBreaking News
In an interview marking his 72nd birthday on Friday, the emperor said "there were rarely peaceful times" in the 20 years to 1945 when Japan surrendered to the allies to end World War II.
"I believe it is extremely important for the Japanese people to strive to accurately understand this past history along with the ensuing era," Akihito said.
"This is also important when the Japanese people interact with other peoples of the world," he added in the interview held recently with the Imperial Palace press corps for publication on Friday.
The past year has been cluttered with ceremonies marking the 60th anniversary of the war's end.
Japan came under intense fire from its neighbours throughout the year about how it perceives its past aggression. Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi again visited Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine, which honours the Japanese war dead including convicted war criminals.
Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko toured the Pacific island of Saipan in June, their first overseas trip solely to pay respects to the war dead.
He said he felt "heavy-hearted as I thought of the severe combat 61 years ago."
Akihito also used the interview to praise "major roles" by women in Japan's royal family, in a carefully worded comment. The country is moving to break with more than two centuries of male-only rule.
He refused to clarify his view on a recent proposal by a government panel to allow women to ascend the throne of the world's oldest monarchy.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity