Wisconsin state senator wants references to Christ back in textsBreaking News
State senator Tom Reynolds has introduced a bill that would prevent the state's school boards from adopting textbooks unless the books use the B-C designation.
B-C stands for "before Christ." Increasingly authors and historians are using the religiously neutral term B-C-E, which stands for "before the Common Era."
Reynolds says schools shouldn't use books that use the revisionist dating method. His bill would impose a fine between 25 and 100 dollars.
Madison School District spokesman Ken Syke says schools have more pressing needs to deal with.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 12/23/2005
This also denies the evidence that the birth of Christ was chosen as an arbitrary date because the newer Christian religion was determined to eliminate the pagan festivals (see also Easter) by co-opting them as festivals of Christianity.
Why are you all pussy-footing around this? Is the fear of the Christian right so strong in the US?
Jonathan Dresner - 12/23/2005
...but it's wrong. The historical Jesus was born, if the historical evidence of the Gospels bears any relation to the events of the near east as we've uncovered them, somewhen between 3 and 8 years before the year "1" which supposedly marks his birth.
This is the real reason, ultimately, that BCE and CE will win out: Christians won't want to cling to a dating system that makes them look like idiots.
If Reynolds is really serious, he should insist that the textbooks not only use the religiously loaded terms but that the entire Western World revise it's dates according to the actual birth of Christ. Otherwise, it's just perpetuating an error.
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- Korean Survivors of Atomic Bombs Renew Fight for Recognition, and Apology
- African American museum’s fundraising touches deep history among donors
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy