Wisconsin state senator wants references to Christ back in textsBreaking News
State senator Tom Reynolds has introduced a bill that would prevent the state's school boards from adopting textbooks unless the books use the B-C designation.
B-C stands for "before Christ." Increasingly authors and historians are using the religiously neutral term B-C-E, which stands for "before the Common Era."
Reynolds says schools shouldn't use books that use the revisionist dating method. His bill would impose a fine between 25 and 100 dollars.
Madison School District spokesman Ken Syke says schools have more pressing needs to deal with.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 12/23/2005
This also denies the evidence that the birth of Christ was chosen as an arbitrary date because the newer Christian religion was determined to eliminate the pagan festivals (see also Easter) by co-opting them as festivals of Christianity.
Why are you all pussy-footing around this? Is the fear of the Christian right so strong in the US?
Jonathan Dresner - 12/23/2005
...but it's wrong. The historical Jesus was born, if the historical evidence of the Gospels bears any relation to the events of the near east as we've uncovered them, somewhen between 3 and 8 years before the year "1" which supposedly marks his birth.
This is the real reason, ultimately, that BCE and CE will win out: Christians won't want to cling to a dating system that makes them look like idiots.
If Reynolds is really serious, he should insist that the textbooks not only use the religiously loaded terms but that the entire Western World revise it's dates according to the actual birth of Christ. Otherwise, it's just perpetuating an error.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges