Social Scientists Lean to the Left, Study SaysBreaking News
The study will appear in the journal Critical Review and its authors argue that it provides more evidence about political bias in academe. But leaders in some of the disciplines studied say that the study overstates and oversimplifies the role of party affiliation in academic life, and that the authors do not provide evidence of discrimination.
The latest study is based on surveys conducted in 2003 of members of various disciplinary associations. On the question of political affiliation, the survey found the following breakdown of Democrats to Republicans:
Anthropologists and sociologists — 21.1:1
Political and legal philosophers — 9.1:1
Historians — 8.5:1
Political scientists — 5.6:1
Economists — 2.9:1
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 12/26/2005
Re '...accurately reflects the diverse polotical views within the society?'. Is it not hotly contested that this already exists, especially by the Right.
Frank Jenista - 12/23/2005
Are these monopolitical social science professors the same ones who demand diversity in the university? Or does diversity apply only to students? Or only to ethnicity/gender?
Isn't there substantial educational value in a professoriate that more accurately reflects the diverse political views within the society?
Lorraine Paul - 12/23/2005
Richard Bartholomew - 12/22/2005
This is a shock. I expect next we'll hear that soldiers and business-people tend to vote Republican.
More seriously, though, a couple of points to consider:
1. How does the existence of a large number of higher education institutions that exclusively employ conservative Christians affect the overall pool of potential employees?
2. Why assume that political orientation leads to academic "bias"? Might it not be that studying certain subjects leads scholars in particular political directions, based on the facts they find themselves facing? Maybe anthropologists and sociologists have good objective reasons to shun the Republicans.
- Carly Fiorina Says Knowledge of Medieval History Will Help Her Defeat ISIS
- FOIA Documents Reveal Agent Orange Dioxin, Toxic Dumps, Fish Kills on Okinawa Base
- Scientists Hope to Learn How Pompeians Lived, Before the Big Day
- Watch Robert Kennedy Push Gun Control In Same Town As Recent Mass Shooting
- October is LGBT History Month
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders
- Intellectual historians to gather in October