Emperor to survey his capital once again
A new architect-designed space, covered in glass, will also feature the bronze equestrian statue of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius with his arm outstretched — the most celebrated statue in the Ancient world — and a gigantic head of the Emperor Constantine. Walter Veltroni, the Mayor of Rome, said that the new wing of the Capitoline Museums was a stunning sight.
Anna Mura Sommella, the director of the Capitoline Museums, said it had been thought that only the foundations of the temple were left. But excavation work in the new space, a neglected courtyard of the Renaissance-era museum buildings on Capitol Hill, had brought to light a 7m (22ft) stretch of the temple wall.
The Temple of Jupiter dates to the 6th century BC and was dedicated to the gods Jupiter, Juno and Minerva. According to the Roman historian Livy it was built on the site of a sacred oak, where Roman soldiers deposited the spoils of war. At the height of its fame, its doors, roof and statues of the deities were ablaze with gold.
The finds have helped archaeologists to identify the site and dimensions of the temple, dedicated in 509BC, which measured 60m x 52m (197ft x 171ft) and had a portico of six marble columns. It was the focal point of religion and politics and the scene of triumphal processions after military victories.
comments powered by Disqus
- New museum in Poland -- the grandest space created since 1989 -- tells the story of the Jews
- Lewinsky mistreated by authorities in investigation of Clinton, report says
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- How Laurel Thatcher Ulrich caught up with the past
- Postal Workers Take on Harvard President, historian Drew Faust
- Symposium held in honor of John D’Emilio
- Thousands of Historic Archives from British Asylums to Go Online
- American Studies Association boycott of Israel: Conservatives say it’s weakening