Susanne Osthoff--German Hostage in Iraq--Has Been FreedBreaking News
He did not disclose any details about Susanne Osthoff's release.
''I am glad to be able to announce to you ... that Mrs. Susanne Osthoff is no longer in the hands of the kidnappers,'' Steinmeier said at a hastily arranged news conference. ''As of today, she is safely in the care of the German Embassy in Baghdad.''
e added that ''our impression after talking to her is that she is in good physical condition.''
It was not immediately clear if Osthoff's driver also was freed. Steinmeier left the news conference without taking questions.
The woman's brother, Robert Osthoff, told The Associated Press that German police informed him of his sister's release just a few minutes before Steinmeier's announcement.
''We'll light candles, pray, and then perhaps we'll get our peace and quiet back,'' he said. ''I'm happy, I'm overjoyed, that's all I can say.''
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history