Race riot victim's kin to get $2 millionBreaking News
The deal would settle the lawsuit that Lillie Belle Allen's family filed against the city and five former police officers.
It also calls for the creation of a memorial to Allen and Henry Schaad, a white city policeman who also was shot to death during 10 days of rioting in the summer of 1969.
"I thank God we've finally come to closure," said Hattie Dickson of York, one of Allen's sisters, who joined other family members and city officials at a news conference.
York Mayor John Brenner apologized to Allen's family.
"We are very sorry for your loss, and I know no monetary settlement and no community dialogue will bring back Lillie Belle Allen," he said.
The case had been scheduled to go to trial in April.
The settlement, to be paid by city taxpayers, still must be approved by the five-member city council, which was scheduled to take a vote Tuesday night.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity