Sen. Marsha Blackburn Gets Schooled After Botching Constitutional HistoryBreaking News
tags: US Senate, Marsha Blackburn
Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) tried to cite the U.S. Constitution on Twitter on Wednesday.
It didn’t go well.
Just one problem: The iconic line appears nowhere in the U.S. Constitution. As most students learn in fifth-grade social studies, it’s in the Declaration of Independence.
Blackburn has something of a history of constitutional screwups. Last year, she vowed: “We will never rewrite the Constitution of the United States,” seemingly ignoring the 27 times it’s been amended. Blackburn even co-sponsored resolutions in support of three potential amendments.
Her latest tweet caused the Declaration of Independence to trend on Twitter as her critics took her to school for botching basic American history:
Shamefully, this US Senator doesn’t know her American history…The DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE “declares” our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness…NOT the Constitution. https://t.co/EuVAfy6JnN— Gene Simmons (@genesimmons) March 24, 2022
comments powered by Disqus
- Josh Hawley Earns F in Early American History
- Does Germany's Holocaust Education Give Cover to Nativism?
- "Car Brain" Has Long Normalized Carnage on the Roads
- Hawley's Use of Fake Patrick Henry Quote a Revealing Error
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Nelson Lichtenstein on a Half Century of Labor History
- Can America Handle a 250th Anniversary?
- New Research Shows British Industrialization Drew Ironworking Methods from Colonized and Enslaved Jamaicans
- The American Revolution Remains a Hotly Contested Symbolic Field
- Untangling Fact and Fiction in the Story of a Nazi-Era Brothel