Oldest veteran salutes WWI fallen
Henry Allingham, 109, from Eastbourne in East Sussex, was an aircraft engineer in World War I and is the last founder member of the Royal Air Force.
He laid wreaths at memorials in St Omer, near Calais, in honour of his fallen comrades.
The last survivor of the Battle of Jutland said: "By coming here, you recall things you want to forget.
"But I do the best I can and I come here to pay homage to these brave men.
"We owe so much to these men who gave all they could have given on my behalf and everyone's behalf. It is so important that we acknowledge them."
comments powered by Disqus
- Evidence of Pre-Columbus Trade Found in Alaska House
- Rwanda Pullout Driven by Clinton White House, U.N. Equivocation
- Centuries of Italian History Are Unearthed in Quest to Fix Toilet
- The U.S. Discovery of Israel's Secret Nuclear Project
- At Auschwitz-Birkenau, Preserving a Site and a Ghastly Inventory