NYU Graduate students threaten to strike todayBreaking News
From 2000 until August of this year, about 1,000 teaching and research assistants were represented by Local 2110 of the United Automobile Workers. But when their contract expired on August 31st, NYU said it would no longer recognize a graduate student union.
The university's decision followed a policy reversal by the National Labor Relations Board in Washington on private universities allowing graduate student workers to unionize. Michael Palm of the Graduate Students Organizing Committee said the union members will strike.
Several professors said that in solidarity with the strikers they will hold classes off campus. Historian Molly Nolan said her classes will meet in a billiard parlor.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history