UK refuge for Basque war childrenBreaking News
Even before they arrived there was controversy about the operation, as many people believed such an act would contravene the UK's stance of non-intervention in the war.
However, after the destruction of Guernica by German bombers, there were increasing fears for the safety of the civilian population in nearby Bilbao.
The children were cared for by a massive mobilisation of voluntary effort. It was while helping to look after a group of them at a colony in Oxfordshire that the mother and father of former Conservative MP Michael Portillo first met. Mr Portillo senior was among those who had fled from Spain.
The story of The Basque Children was scheduled to be told by Michael Portillo on BBC Radio 4 at 20:00 GMT on 7 November.
comments powered by Disqus
- Niall Ferguson says it's no surprise Trump's so popular
- Howard Zinn group backs move to "Abolish Columbus Day"
- Ted Widmer appointed director of John W. Kluge Center
- What Historians Are Saying About the First Trump-Clinton Debate
- Princeton professor documents the movement that ended single-sex education at elite schools