Scotland Fears Loss Of Popular Artifacts To BritainBreaking News
There are more than 300 items in the Drambuie collection of Jacobite art, ranging from a hand-written letter from Prince Charles Edward Stuart and historic glassware cut with secret codes, to miniature and full-length portraits.
Earlier this year, the Drambuie liqueur company said its collection was safe, even as it prepared to sell off millions of pounds of art on the open market.
But heritage groups feel it may be changing its mind. A Drambuie spokesman would only say yesterday: "No decision has been taken regarding the future of the Jacobite collection."
The uncertainty is alarming Jacobite historians and museum chiefs. While the material has huge symbolic and historic value, experts suggest it might be bought for less than GBP 1 million - the price of two major paintings by the Scottish Colourists, for example.
James Irvine Robertson, the author of three books on the Jacobites, said of the collection: "It's the best in the country, and it would be a tragedy if it got dispersed. It should be taken over by, or donated to, one of the big museums."
comments powered by Disqus
- Trump Holds Wide Lead in South Carolina
- An All-or-Nothing Fight for the Supreme Court
- Did Trump Really Lose the Debate?
- Scalia’s Death Sets Off Epic Battle
- Democrats See Gift in GOP Blocking Court Nominee
- Quote of the Day
- The Nastiest GOP Debate
- Reaction to the Republican Debate
- The GOP Presidential Debate
- How Clinton Could Respond on Supreme Court Vacancy
- Trump and Clinton Way Ahead in South Carolina
- McConnell Says Senate Will Wait to Replace Scalia
- Antonin Scalia Is Dead
- Clinton Says Sanders Would Be Threat to Obama Legacy
- Internal Tracker Shows Trump Leading in South Carolina
- Ben Carson used an apparently fake Joseph Stalin quote — and the Internet loved it
- Rubio exaggerates in saying it's been 80 years since a 'lame duck' made a Supreme Court nomination
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges