Sunken Secret Sheds light on a 60-year-old mysteryBreaking News
SUNKEN SECRET, which claims to uncover "new evidence about an enduring mystery." It's the story of the sinking of a "Norwegian ferry sabotaged in a daring resistance operation during WWII." The ferry was thought to be carrying heavy water useful in the creation of a Nazi nuclear bomb.
The press release ...
This new documentary involves one of the last remaining puzzles from World War II. It’s known that in the late 1930s the German army began a top secret research program to develop nuclear weapons after scientists in Berlin performed the first experiments showing that the atom could be split, unleashing immense power. But they would never finish the job. Just why has always been a mystery. In search of clues to solve this, NOVA follows a team of underwater archaeologists to the icy depths of a lake in Norway as they uncover startling new evidence by recovering the cargo of The Hydro, a sunken Norwegian ferry sabotaged in a daring resistance operation during WWII (Feb. 1944). They want to know what’s really inside them, because they may contain the key to the only weapon that could have won the war for Hitler – a Nazi nuclear bomb. The prevailing version is that the Nazis were using heavy water to develop nuclear weapons, and, thanks to brave Norwegian resistance efforts and British intelligence, this act kept Hitler from getting the bomb first by destroying the barrels of heavy water destined for the Nazi’s secret atomic bomb project. But was the intelligence wrong? Was this act worth it? How close were the Nazis really to having the atomic bomb? Analysis of one of those drums helps to solve a six-decade-long mystery about the role the Allies played in preventing a Nazi nuclear bomb.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Newly released interactive map shows images of destroyed monuments of Mosul
- How the Rise of the Post Office Explains American Innovation
- These Americans are reliving history and don’t mind repeating it
- Britain largest home is saved for the nation
- Shelter and the slums: capturing bleak Britain 50 years ago
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't
- Princeton U. historian Imani Perry claims mistreatment in parking ticket arrest
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history