1/18/20
National Archives says it was wrong to alter images
Breaking Newstags: NARA, censorship, National Archives, Womens March
Officials at the National Archives on Saturday said they had removed from display an altered photo from the 2017 Women’s March in which signs held by marchers critical of President Trump had been blurred.
In tweets on Saturday, the museum apologized and said: “We made a mistake.”
“As the National Archives of the United States, we are and have always been completely committed to preserving our archival holdings, without alteration,” one of the tweets said.
“This photo is not an archival record held by the @usnatarchives, but one we licensed to use as a promotional graphic,” it said in another tweet. “Nonetheless, we were wrong to alter the image.”
The altered 49-by-69-inch photograph was part of a display that showed the 2017 march from one perspective and, viewed from another angle, shifted to show a 1913 black-and-white image of a women’s suffrage march also on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington. The display linked momentous demonstrations for women’s rights more than a century apart on the same stretch of pavement.
comments powered by Disqus
News
- Health Researchers Show Segregation 100 Years Ago Harmed Black Health, and Effects Continue Today
- Understanding the Leading Thinkers of the New American Right
- Want to Understand the Internet? Consider the "Great Stink" of 1858 London
- As More Schools Ban "Maus," Art Spiegelman Fears Worse to Come
- PEN Condemns Censorship in Removal of Coates's Memoir from AP Course
- Should Medicine Discontinue Using Terminology Associated with Nazi Doctors?
- Michael Honey: Eig's MLK Bio Needed to Engage King's Belief in Labor Solidarity
- Blair L.M. Kelley Tells Black Working Class History Through Family
- Review: J.T. Roane Tells Black Philadelphia's History from the Margins
- Cash Reparations to Japanese Internees Helped Rebuild Autonomy and Dignity






