New Polish President Invoked Hatred of Nazis to WinBreaking News
His campaign turned dirty last week as he cranked up anti-German rhetoric in an attempt to win votes of older Poles with memories of the second World War. Mr Kaczynski published a report claiming that the Nazis caused damage worth at least EUR 45 billion during the occupation and destruction of the Polish capital.
Mr Kaczynski also suggested Mr Tusk, who has close relations with Chancellor-designate Angela Merkel, would be too "ready to compromise" with Germany.
Mr Kaczynski (56) snatched victory from liberal favourite Donald Tusk in the final days of the campaign to take 52 per cent of the poll, according to exit polls last night.
His victory completes a political shift to the right in Poland, and mirrors last month's general election success of his twin brother Jaroslaw who lead their Law and Justice Party (PiS) to victory by overtaking Mr Tusk's Civic Platform (PO) in the final days of the campaign.
Mr Kaczynski ran a highly effective campaign, promising to eradicate Poland's rampant corruption, promote traditional moral values and create a new "fourth republic", a French-style presidential democracy.
Last night's result showed how his policies found favour far beyond his traditional stronghold of highly conservative, religious voters in rural areas.
The key to Mr Kaczynski's victory was the backing he secured in recent days from right-wing candidates eliminated in the first round, as well as the endorsement of the radical right-wing religious radio station Radio Maryja.
comments powered by Disqus
Steven R Alvarado - 10/25/2005
Comes around. Schroeder seemed to have no regrets using anti-Americanism to get re-elected by the German people. So they should not be surprised if someone uses them as their scapegoat.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity