Proposed Gallipoli Theme Park Decried As TackyBreaking News
Ms Vale's Gallipoli park proposal -- mooted for the Mornington Peninsular -- yesterday earned her widespread condemnation from the Opposition, colleagues, veterans and historians alike.
Talkback callers lampooned the park idea with one sarcastically proposing a tourist excursion complete with a bully beef lunch and donkey rides.
But the former veterans' affairs minister was having none of it, maintaining the resemblance between Gallipoli and the Mornington Peninsular was "uncanny".
Ms Vale said the idea of a Gallipoli-themed memorial park had been put to her by veterans and war widows unable to attend annual services in Turkey. "Being in a Gallipoli replica park would actually just assist the memory," she said.
Under Mrs Vale's proposal, a re-enactment of the World War I landing of Anzacs on the Turkish beach would be re-enacted on federal land, now reserved for a national park, 90 minutes' drive from Melbourne.
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 10/21/2005
One more politician airing their ignorance.
The area this woman was promoting as the site for this re-enactment already has an important history of its own which relates not only to the two world wars but even earlier wars. It is on one side of the entrance to Port Phillip Bay and is where our first line of defence against a naval invasion dating back to the Crimean war. To build anything else there would desecrate these other sites. It is also credited with being the spot where the first shot was fired in both World Wars.
My grandmother used to say..never underestimate how foolish a fool can be!
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges
- English professor uses literature to help cure historical amnesia
- WSJ features an article by a conservative calling for the abolition of Black History Month
- Mary Beard, herself a bestselling author, wonders why more women historians aren't